Sheffield Botanical Gardens
Sheffield Botanical Gardens cover 19 acres and were first opened in 1836. Originally designed by Robert Marnock in the Gardenesque style, the site now has fifteen different garden areas featuring collections of plants from all over the world, including Mediterranean, Asian, American prairie-style, woodland and rock-and-water plantings. The National Collections of Weigela, Diervilla and Sarcococca are sited here. The Gardens contain several listed buildings including the restored Grade II* listed curvilinear Glass Pavilions, some of the earliest ever built, which were officially re-opened by HRH The Prince of Wales on 1 September 2003.
The Gardens have recently been fully restored at a cost of approximately £6.69 million and they are the only Botanical Gardens in the country to have undertaken such a complete restoration. In order to access the generous Heritage Lottery Fund Award of £5.06 million, an additional 25% in matched funding was raised. The Gardens are the only public open space in the country where the voluntary sector has raised more than £1 million in matched funding. The Gardens’ staff and FOBS volunteers continue to develop the plantings throughout the Gardens. In the future, additional projects will be undertaken to further enhance the Gardens as a centre of horticultural excellence.